JollyRomance is one of the dating sites that piqued our interest—we wondered what made over 200,000 people use it monthly, so we decided to join the community and test all its features. We share our experience and our thoughts on the site’s pros, cons, and pricing policy in this JollyRomance review.
Top alternative dating sites in other regions
Best website in Asian region
🇺🇦Best website in Slavic region
Best website in Latin region
Who is the JollyRomance dating site for?
- People who are curious about international dating
- Busy singles who don’t want to waste too much time looking for matches by trial and error IRL
- Men who want to meet Eastern European girls and Slavic ladies open to interaction with western guys
- Most members have pretty detailed profiles and at least 5 photos
- Bonus credits are granted to new members
- Swiping feature allows finding random matches
- Credits are not so expensive compared with many other niche online dating sites
- Most members we contacted responded to our messages
- Real gifts are too expensive
- There is no mobile app (the site is mobile-optimized though)
- You can’t open Mails without paying
Popular JollyRomance profiles
Do you want to watch?
Do you want to watch?
Do you want to watch?
Getting started: Creating an account on JollyRomance.com
So, JollyRomance is not the most popular but a rapidly-growing dating website that connects western men (mostly from New Zealand, the US, and Canada) with Slavic women (most are from Ukraine, Russia, and Belarus). It’s not one of the sites that let you browse profiles before you create an account. There were a few screenshots we’ve seen and a few Jolly Romance reviews we’ve read, but it was not enough to realize what exactly we can expect from this platform.
So, we decided not to postpone registering on the site—fortunately, it didn’t take too much time. That’s what we did to get our new JollyRomance account:
- Visited the official website and filled in the registration form (you only need to indicate your gender, provide an email, choose a birth date, and create a password)
- Moved on to the quizzes and answered most questions about ourselves (or our fictional character of a single man, to be exact) and our perfect match and relationship goals
- Uploaded a profile picture
Note that you can skip all the stages except for the first one. However, you’ll get an empty profile, which is no good if you are really going to use the JollyRomance service. What we found out is that on the JollyRomance website, female members don’t start that messaging attack when they see a new male member. You will need to take the first steps, and your chances of getting a response will be significantly lower if you have a low-effort profile. We tested that, actually—once we deleted the profile pic, ladies stopped responding to the messages.
Tips on how to create a good profile on JollyRomance
- You’ll be able to write a self-description, and we do recommend adding it—just describe briefly what you are looking for on JollyRomance
- The registration process will be longer if you ask all the questions. It’s not a must—you can skip questions that seem weird to you—most answers won’t be displayed in your profile.
- The more photos, the better—add at least 2-3 pics if you want to get a lot of attention from potential matches.
General information about Jolly Romance:
|📈 Monthly visits:||178K|
|⏳ Most dominant age:||25-34|
|👤 Profiles with photo:||94%|
|😍 Success rate:||93%|
The cost of using JollyRomance platform: Free and paid features
If you’re planning to use a free communication platform, JollyRomance will hardly work for you. There are some free features, and some are useful enough, but most communication tools aren’t available to non-paying users. We decided to use JollyRomance both as a non-paying and paying user, and here’s what we found out.
All Standard members can use these features:
- Free registration, editing profile. As we've noted previously, this online dating site is free to join. Everyone can also take a personality test, add photos, and make a profile more detailed.
- Viewing profiles and public photos. A few random profiles are shown to new users right after they complete registration. They are free to like them or skip them, and after that, you are redirected to the website. We looked through hundreds of profiles and browsed even more profile photos—there are no limitations or restrictions for Standard users.
- Search and the swiping feature. There's no advanced search, but all members can look for matches by 3 main filters, namely age, location, or gender, find users who are online at the moment, or use the swiping feature to discover random matches.
- Sending winks and likes. These are the main and only free communication tools on the JollyRomance platform—we could send an unlimited number of winks, but only around 10% of women sent us the first messages after receiving them.
- Following members, access to posts on the Newsfeed. The first thing you notice when you visit the site is that JollyRomance is not just a dating site where you can find someone and send a message. On this platform, we could also follow others for free and see all the newest and the previous posts of a particular member, as well as view posts of random members on the Newsfeed.
- Customer support. All members can reach the support team 24/7/365. We contacted them three times, each time with a new question or situation. We received a quick and helpful response every time, and the support team was both professional and friendly.
Though all absolutely free features work properly and some even make the JollyRomance dating site stand out from competitors, the most important services become available only after purchasing credits. Below, we explain how JollyRomance credits work.
Paid members can use all the services that allow building a connection, so the upgrade was just a matter of time. We got 20 complimentary credits but spent them immediately in ten minutes in live chat. Our experts decided to purchase the largest package available—750 credits cost us $149.99 (around $0.2 per credit), and we spent our credits in a month using most of the following tools:
- Mails—10 credits for the first Mail, 30 credits for the following Mails. That wasn't our favorite communication tool, but it can work for those who prefer to write long letters.
- Live chat—20 credits for 10 minutes.
- Sending a photo—free for Mails, 10 credits for Live Chat.
- Opening a photo—10 credits, opening a video in chat, Mail, or a profile—50 credits.
- Meeting request (travel expenses & foreign language translation not included)—625 credits.
- Contact details request (makes messaging free)—free but is available only to those who spend 3 thousand credits on communication with another member.
- Virtual gifts—from around 60 credits.
- Real gifts—from around 500 credits for a real gift, plus 100 credits for delivery to Eastern Europe.
It's hard to say there are affordable rates for all services—it took around a week for us to develop a strategy that helped us save credits. It's possible, though. We started to watch fewer profile videos and stopped to send virtual gifts and also preferred to use live chat instead of sending Mails (which, however, may work for some users better). That allowed cutting our spending significantly, but we still reached many women. For a user who knows what they're looking for and watches the credits, JollyRomance can work as a mid-price dating site.
How to look for matches and communicate with members on the site?
The site offers pretty many communication and search tools and also has some special features. We're going to talk about our experience of using them all in more detail below.
There are only two types of search on JollyRomance:
- Basic search with three filters—age, gender, and the country
- The People—swiping feature that lets members discover random matches
There's no need to buy a paid membership to use the search on the site, but there's something that could be improved. There are thousands of single ladies registered on the platform, and if we were looking for someone special, we'd definitely want to use more filters to save time we spent browsing random profiles. The People feature was fun to use, but again, we didn't rely on the way a lady looks only and wanted to sort the members by more specific criteria.
Fortunately, most profiles were pretty detailed. Most ladies from Slavic countries prefer to validate their accounts and provide more information to improve the chance of finding a partner. Here's what we could see when browsing almost any random profile on the JollyRomance dating site:
- Short self-description. It seems to be a profile headline, but it's actually the About Me section. A user can click Read More to learn a bit more about the member without scrolling down the page, and in most cases, it works great. However, not all the users write something really meaningful and useful—some descriptions sound more like statuses on social media and networking sites, but it's a mixed platform, so it's not surprising.
- Chat window, like, wink, and follow buttons. We could contact a member right away if we liked photos and self-description. There were free winks and likes to send to let another person know you're interested in a conversation and a Chat/Mails window.
- Gifts from you. There was also a section with virtual gifts, but the thing is, we couldn’t see the gift sent from others. We think sending virtual gifts on the site didn't make much sense anyway—we preferred to spend our credits on actual conversations instead.
- Basic information. All the most useful information about the member is in this section. We liked the fact that there's a separate ‘Looking For’ paragraph so you can find out what a member wants to get on the site. Moreover, most members are pretty honest about their intentions—we saw some profiles where women clearly indicated that they're looking for attention, best friend, etc. There were a lot of women seeking partners and relationships, too.
- Personal and public photos, profile videos (if any). We failed to find at least one male or female profile without a photo, and in most cases, there are at least 4-5 public pictures other members can view for free. We could access personal albums, too, after buying credits, but to be honest, they're pretty similar to public ones.
- Posts of a user. As we've noted previously, this is a mixed platform that works both as a dating website and a social media website. Once we browsed a random profile and scrolled down the page, we could see all previous posts of the member. That's definitely one of the best features as we could learn a lot about a user, and most importantly, we didn't have to spend credits on it.
How many members have detailed profiles? We'd say most of them have, and the best thing is that ladies and men from different countries also prefer to validate their accounts which makes Jolly Romance safer than many other services we could find on the web.
Communication with other members
On JollyRomance, there are two ways to chat with others—instant messaging and via Mails. We could access our inbox by clicking the Messages links on the Main Menu. If we wanted to contact someone, we could start a conversation right when scrolling the search results page or right in a personal profile of another member.
Note that there are no separate buttons for Chat and Mails—you can just switch the windows to choose the tool that you'd like to use right now.
Additional communication tools like winks and likes are also shown each time you see another person's profile picture so you can send them even without visiting a profile.
What makes Jolly Romance stand out?
Like all other sites that want to attract as many new users as possible, JollyRomance tries to offer something special for a user:
- Contact requests. At a certain stage, members can stop paying for messaging, but it works only if you have already met someone special and have been interacting with this person a lot before. Still, it's a great opportunity for people seeking serious relationships.
- Newsfeed. The site has features of social media websites, and this really improves the experience. It's like an Instagram for people looking for partners worldwide.
- The People feature. The site works like Tinder and other popular and widely used apps—for someone who wants to see the random profiles of attractive Slavic ladies, it's definitely a great tool to use.
Scams and common problems with JollyRomance
Though our experts usually spend at least 3 weeks on dating sites they're reviewing, it's not enough to learn everything about the site. We realize that we can't know all about the platform and always search for negative feedback from users to find out what problems members can potentially face, and in the case of JollyRomance, they are as follows:
- Auto renewed payments. Some users note that the site will charge you even if you're not planning to buy more credits. Unfortunately, that's the common situation on most dating sites, and Jolly Romance isn't an exception to this rule. Therefore, if you're going to use this or any other website, go to your profile settings and ensure that you won't be charged regularly—on JollyRomance, you can manually turn off this feature.
- Attractive ladies but no real contacts. There were men who said that most women on the site looked like models, which already seemed suspicious to them, and that they failed to get any real contacts. As for attractiveness, it's usually explained by the policies of such platforms that just don't let women join the site without providing high-quality photos. As for the contacts, we didn't face such situations but can assume that this can happen, and in this case, we'd recommend stopping communicating with such users and finding someone who's more interested in further communication.
- Too high prices. Users also say that messaging costs too much, as they are charged hundreds of dollars monthly. We can confirm that JollyRomance falls under the category of high-end dating sites that provide premium online dating services. The policy is transparent though, and all information on the costs is available on the Credits page as well as on profiles next to the chat windows. We recommend taking a very close look at the price list before you decide to spend real money here, and if you become a premium member, spend your credits wisely only on the most compatible matches and the right communication tools.
- Women refusing to go to free sites. Some men also say that when they invited women to free platforms, they refused to do it. That may be explained by the policy of the platform (some sites automatically spot such messages and suspend users' accounts because they won't receive any payments from users who leave the platform immediately) and fears of women who receive a lot of such messages. We recommend offering that only if you have already got a bit closer to a person.
Romance scams are real, and unfortunately, a user can't feel completely safe on any dating platform. The only way to protect yourself and avoid money loss is to follow some safety rules, and we mention some of the most important and useful ones below:
- Choose the website carefully. Learn how the system actually works, and don't ignore weird things and difficulties. Ensure there are no hidden costs and auto-generated messages, and take a close look at the profiles to find out if members are real.
- Double-check the photos. Today, a user can check the photos without spending a penny—you can just use Google image search to find out if the pictures are stolen or authentic.
- Never send money. Sometimes, someone attractive gains your trust, makes you think that they're in love, and then asks for money. It's always a scam, no exception.
- Protect your data. If a user is trying to know the details they aren't supposed to know, for example, a real address or a credit card number, that's definitely a red flag. Don't share such information with someone you've never even met in real life.
Remember that you can spend a bit more time checking the details and paying more attention to bios, but in the end, it’s always worth it.
Our experience on the site
As we’ve previously noted, we’ve been trying to contact as many new people as possible instead of getting close to someone so we could understand what the dating pool is really like and what a user can find on the site. Still, it doesn’t mean that we’ve just exchanged a few messages with someone new and moved on. Our goal was to understand how well communication tools on JollyRomance work for someone who wants to build an emotional connection with a new match.
Here’s what our strategy was based on—we sent free winks and liked profiles, waited for the response for a day, sent private messages if that didn’t work, and then just tried to make the conversation last. Winks and likes weren’t super effective—only around 15% of users texted us after we sent a wink. However, most women replied to our messages, and we must admit that the vast majority of ladies on the site were genuinely interested in keeping a conversation going. There were a few ladies we had been talking to every day, and that was a great experience overall, so if we were really looking for a partner on Jolly Romance, it could have worked for us.
Feedback from Jolly Romance members
The site was fun and easy to use, no complaints here. There are many hot and friendly women, and some seem to be interested in serious relationships. Will keep using it and see how it goes.
Met a GF here, definitely satisfied with the experience. Before I met Maria, no one asked me for money or to join a crypto platform or anything like that, so it’s actually safer than most other sites I’ve been using for years. The top pick to meet Slavic hotties.
Great site overall, but no mobile app, so I think they should make improvements on this. I like streams on JollyRomance and met a few pretty interesting ladies on streams, but I wished more users were using this feature as there’s no video chat.
Jolly Romance isn’t cheap, but I realize it’s a business. I was ready to pay to access only the high-quality accounts of legit girls and wasn’t disappointed. Going to meet my long-distance girlfriend from Ukraine in Italy next month, and I really think it can work.
Finally, a site with some interesting features. Dating profiles are great, especially the detailed ones, but the Newsfeed is still better. Followed a few hotties and ended up being in a relationship with one of them, so well, the experience was great—the site turned out to be efficient enough.
My experience on the site is mostly positive. I met a lot of beautiful women here and now I can even say that I understand Slavic women a bit better. To be honest, I thought I’m joining a mail order bride site and was more than surprised that most women here are employed and pretty ambitious. None of them asked me to send money or become their sugar daddy or something—I was afraid of it because I’m definitely not going to become anyone’s benefactor. I met a few very interesting girls with deep personalities and similar views of life and I still keep chatting with one of them. Hope this story will last and maybe we even have a future together.
I’ve met a girlfriend here and though I’m grateful for this I still believe the site has both pros and cons. However, I was missing video chat and call service, and I’ve spent a lot of credits on contacting girls who seemed attractive but were looking for other things in life and relationships. Maybe a personality test or a questionnaire could help solve this problem. Anyway, all the features on JollyRomance worked pretty well for me considering I found a GF here, the support works great, and most members are real (I met a few weirdos whose messages made me think that this person is here not for communication, so I reported scams). I give the site 7/10 points. It’s pretty good but there are things to improve, too.
How to cancel or pause a subscription
Members can deactivate or delete their accounts at any time. The process is pretty straightforward and takes a couple of minutes to complete:
- Log into the JollyRomance account.
- Find "Settings" in the "Your profile" dropdown menu.
- Press the "Deactivate profile" button in the upper left corner.
- Input the account password and confirm account deactivation.
The owner of a deactivated JollyRomance profile will not receive further notifications from the platform, and their account will disappear from search results. However, the credit balance will remain viable and will be restored if the profile is ever reactivated again.
Users wishing to delete their profiles from the platform irreversibly should contact the support team via email. In this case, accounts cannot be restored, and any remaining credits are voided.
The verdict on JollyRomance.com—Our experts' opinions
It’s an innovative site, and I like the fact it’s a mixed platform. Live streams and Feed really improve the experience and allow having some fun instead of just focusing on finding a match and personal communication between two people.
Jolly Romance is a pretty good international dating site. There are very few fake and low-effort accounts, but the cost of watching videos is too high, and there’s no two-way video chat, so obviously, there’s room for improvement.
How to use Jolly Romance?
- Stay anonymous. If you’re looking for the highest level of privacy, you can use Jolly Romance anonymously. You don’t have to enter your real name when signing up, and there are private albums, so if you don’t want anyone to recognize you, just use these features.
- Choose matches carefully based on your preferences. Nearly every woman on this site is attractive, but contacting many women will cost a lot of money. If you want to cut spending, read the information in profiles carefully—it takes time considering there are no advanced search filters, but it’s worth it.
- Develop a dating strategy—choose the most effective features and pay for them. We’ve mentioned that live chat worked better for us than Mails. Test different tools, too, and choose your favorites to fully enjoy the experience and pay less.
- Watch live streams to meet more people for free. This is a great innovative tool that allows you to chat with others for free, learn more about women you can meet, and have a great time overall, so why not use it?
- Watch fewer profile videos. Streams are free while watching profile videos isn’t. Open them only if you really like someone and you want to make sure this person is real—watching many random videos is just too expensive.